The Bertarelli Foundation and Pew Charitable Trusts have brought together global leaders to form the Pew Bertarelli Ocean Legacy Ocean Ambassadors group.
Working closely with Dona Bertarelli, the Pew Bertarelli Ocean Ambassadors will advocate for and raise public awareness about the importance of marine protected areas in conserving the ocean.
Announced at Our Ocean 2018, held in Bali, Indonesia, from 29th to 30th October, the Pew Bertarelli Ocean Ambassadors are:
- John Kerry, co-chair, Ocean Ambassadors; former U.S. secretary of state (2013-2017); former U.S. senator, Massachusetts (1985-2013); distinguished fellow for global affairs at Yale University; visiting distinguished statesman at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- David Cameron, co-chair, Ocean Ambassadors; former United Kingdom prime minister (2010-2016); former leader, U.K. Conservative Party (2005-2016).
- James Alix Michel, former president of Seychelles (2004-2016).
- Carlotta Leon Guerrero, executive director of the Guam-based Ayuda Foundation; former member of the Guam Legislature (1994-2000).
- Heraldo Muñoz, former Chilean minister of foreign affairs (2014-2018).
To date, the Bertarelli Foundation has supported the designation of 2,371,816 km2 of marine protected areas. The Bertarelli Foundation, in partnership with Pew Charitable Trusts, aims to create the first generation of ecologically significant and effective marine reserves around the world.